Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Freetail Brewing opening this weekend

The newest addition to the Texas brewing scene debuts this weekend down in San Antonio, Freetail Brewing Co.

I love San Antonio and will definitely get down there to try it at some point. Earlier this year I went to Blue Star Brewing in the King William District and was mighty impressed, but have been too slothful to write it up.

Details from a press release they sent me:

The new brewpub will open the inaugural location on the corner of 1604 and NW Military in the Hill Country Plaza retail development on Thanksgiving weekend, Nov. 28-30.

The opening marks a fresh approach to San Antonio's brewpub scene combining artisan pizza, salads and sandwiches with a microbrewery featuring unique selections of craft beer. Opening specials will include happy hour prices throughout the weekend.

6 comments:

Good Burp said...

Im expecting a full review. I hope the beer is up to your standards. Either way, it sounds like a good time.
Have fun.

The American Don said...

Just confirmed, we're spending our New Year's Eve and Day in San Antonio. Beering at Freetail and Blue Star.

assurbanipaul said...

Unfortunately, I've heard that he may not have house brews up for a couple more weeks. Commercial taps until then.

Anonymous said...

I went yesterday and they did not have any house brews ready. They said it would be about 10 more days. They have about 10 beers on tap from Real Ale, Rahr, Live Oak, and Shiner. Their salsa is weak.

Anonymous said...

I went opening day and was disappointed at the lack of house brews. They didn't get the permit to use the boiler until 2days before opening - hence no brewing.

I was not that impressed with the food prices. A small pizza costed$13. Seems like a lot. This isn't cheap food, but most of the people in the area would probably pay it. The pizzas I tried were good, but overpriced in my opinion.

I might be going for 1-2 beers and maybe an appetizer in the future.

Anonymous said...

I've really wanted to like this place, but so far, I haven't been impressed. Went on 12-13 - since no house brews although that should be alleviated soon.

Not impressed at all with the servers. I asked her about a certain brew and she said, "It's kinda dark. I guess it's more malty and not very hoppy."
Really? I just figured the girls working here would know something about beer, kinda like they do at Flying Saucer.

The place isn't too comfortable. The chairs are high like barstools and made out of metal with a very low back. You definitely can't lean back in your seat or you'll fall four feet onto the concrete floor. I think the owners bought the chais because they look cool, not because they feel good to sit in - which would be my prime concern as a restaurant owner. Comfortable chairs = more beer sales.

Hopefully house brews will make up for some of this.