Friday, April 28, 2006

Alamo Drafthouse Amber Ale

I could write volumes on the entirety of the Alamo Drafthouse experience – getting to enjoy good food and fine beer while you watch a movie is the apex of civilization, in my opinion. In fact, Entertainment Weekly rated it as the best movie theatre in America. However, I'll limit this post to my great new discovery there. I don't know if it's new, or if I've just managed to overlook it on my many visits, but they have their own Alamo Drafthouse Amber Ale, which is brewed for them by Austin's Independence Brewing. It was a winner. In fact, I like it better than the other beers I've tried by Independence. A strong hop presence but not overwhelming. I was a bit nervous at trying this sight unseen – a night at Alamo can be pretty pricey, so you don't want it dragged down by a mediocre beer – but this was spot-on. Very comparable to Live Oak's Big Bark. I followed it up with one of my favorites, Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA, and actually regretted it – the pleasant subtlety of of the Alamo beer should have simply been followed by another. The DFH just seemed overpowering after the more balanced character of the first beer.

Oh, and the movie? The Notorious Bettie Page. Excellent. Gretchen Mol has great tits. :-)

No comments: