Sunday, September 28, 2008

Back to the Deschutes

Okay, back to the Deschutes beers that were sent to me for a review. I've already reviewed the Mirror Pond Pale Ale and the Cinder Cone Red back in May. Also back in May I tasted the Blacke Butte Porter, but didn't get around to writing up. But here are the notes I took: The immediate impression is a strong dose of chocolate. It settles on the tongue nicely, although the finish is mildly disappointing after the excellence of the Mirror Pond and Cinder Cone. There is a hint of licorice behind the chocolate. I'd give it a B.

A few months later I tried the Obsidian Stout, and this was back up to the standard of the first two brews. Obsidian is a smooth, black volcanic rock, and that describes this magnificent stout perfectly: smooth. As I sipped it I immediately imagined the perfect, glassy surface of a perfect rock of obsidian. I lost my other notes, but the velvety wonderfulness of this stout quite firmly implanted itself in my memory.

Then tonight I sampled the Inversion IPA. It was quite good, although I'm not certain what to say about it. Brews like Dogfish Head 60 Minute and 90 Minute, and double IPAs like Breckenridge 471, have raised the standard for IPAs so high that it takes a lot to impress me. Which is not to say Inversion is bad — it's actually quite good, and if you find it, it's worth your time and money.

And now I'm confused. I could have sworn Deschutes sent me a six-pack, but that's only five beers. Maybe they only sent me five, but more likely is I drank one and forgot to take notes. I have a suspicion that they sent me the Green Lakes Organic Ale and I just don't remember it — make of that what you will.

Overall, I'm mighty glad that Deshutes is shipping to Texas, and the Obsidian, Cinder Cone, and Mirror Pond are near the top of my list of recommended beers.

3 comments:

Beer Blokes said...

G'Day Lee,
Deschutes is one I have heard a bit about through your blog and am currently chasing my good beer guy for some stock as we speak. The brewery won an award for (I Think)best international brewery at last years Australian International Beer Awards. From memory the Black Butte picked up a gong as well as best in category.

Cheers
Prof. Pilsner
P.S. In reference to my ongoing quest to get some Sierra Nevada, I have my beer guy holding on to some stock for me at last!! Can't believe it's been near on two years to get me some!! Post on "The Quest" tomorrow!

ledemure said...

Try the Jubel Ale....a great winter brew.

And because I am a selfish in a great sharing way, can you tell me where in Houston I might find Deschutes, so that I can back up my talk when visiting with a great six pack or two?

Lee said...

Thanks for the reco, ledemure. I really don't know Houston all that well, but I'd bet Spec's Liquor will have it. http://www.specsonline.com/. They have about a million locations in Houston.