Thursday, October 18, 2007

Fresh Hop Beer in Austin!

So if you read all of our Portland correspondent's series on fresh-hop beers, your curiosity is probably piqued and your mouth is watering to try one of these brews (unless you live in the Pacific Northwest). Well, good news, Austinites! I just bought a fresh-hop beer right here in the capital of Tejas. While hitting Spec's for some Dogfish Head Punkin Ale, I spotted Sierra Nevada Harvest Ale, which they claim is the original fresh-hop beer. They sell it in 22 oz. bottles, I got one, and I'm dying to try it. Unfortunately, I might not get to it tonight – my @#%! allergies have flared up, and I have a sore throat and dulled taste buds. I wouldn't want to waste a possibly great beer in such a situation, so I may have to torture myself and wait a few days. Hopefully the Claritin will kick in soon and have me feeling better before bedtime, though.

UPDATE: Okay, it's a day later, and I'm giving it a try. The initial flavor is good but not outstanding, but then the aftertaste is really interesting. I think it's that "grassy" note that Portland Bill mentions. I probably just need the beer to warm up a bit so the flavors come out. It's a very clean taste. I think I expected a stronger hop taste, like an IPA. But the idea is fresh hops, not strong hops, right? Mmm. Yes, the aftertaste is definitely the best part. I like the way the flavor lingers in my mouth long after I've swallowed. And it kind of gets up in my nose, too, the way a good scotch does. I can tell I'll still be savoring the flavor long after the bottle is drained.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

My in-laws are in Dallas right now. I'm tempted to call them (I've never actually called them, my wife does all of the talking to them) and asking them to get me the Sierra Nevada.

Is Dogfish Head easily available in Texas?

Lee said...

You can't get Sierra Nevada in KC? Surely someplace like Gomer's might have it. As for Dogfish Head in Texas, I can't speak for the rest of the state, but it is definitely easy to get here in Austin because we are a big market for craft beers.

Unknown said...

I've been calling around and no one has it. I'm going to see if the in-laws can get me some Dogfish Head too. I'm fascinated by DH since I read Sam's book "Brewing up a Business".

Lee said...

Dogfish Head is a very adventurous brewery that will try just about anything. They have several really amazing beers. Some of their experiments don't work out, but most do.

Anonymous said...

They have the Sierra Nevada Harvest at Opal Divine's Marina location (north). I know this for a fact since they also have wireless internet and I have my laptop.

Anonymous said...

Bull:
What about Samuel Adams Imperial Pilsner? 4 for $9.99 at Hy-Vee on Barry Road. Let me know if you want to split one.

Unknown said...

That was a good beer!!

Lee said...

Which, the Harvest or the Imperial Pilsner? Both are good, but yes, that Imperial Pilsner is fantastic.

Unknown said...

The Harvest was what I was speaking of. Muddy's bringing me an Imperial, so I'll be able to comment on that later in the week.