Thursday, October 02, 2008

Big Festival Weekend


No, not ACL Fest, that's already gone by. Now it's time for the fall beer festivals, what with Oktoberfest time upon us.

North by Northwest's Oktoberfest has always been a favorite of mine, because, much like a scaled-down version of Wurstfest in New Braunfels, it has beer, sausages, and oompah music for me (not to mention cute waitresses in dirndls – that's them in the picture, plus "Pinty the Bear") and activities for my kids
(bouncy houses, face painting, etc.). Anything that allows me to drink beer and not have to hire a babysitter is a good thing. That will be Saturday and Sunday (Oct. 4-5).

I'll have to go on Sunday, because Saturday I'll be at the new kid on the block, the Flying Saucer Fall Beer Festival. I don't see anything on their site about kid-friendly stuff, but it will be outside, so I assume the kiddos will have room to run around. (If not, then the Flying Saucer better do some tinkering before next year.)

[UPDATE: Oh, forgot: Today is also the 4th Anniversary Party of Independence Brewing! Happy Fourth, guys!]

Damn, this is really going to get me fired up for Wurstfest. And you know, sooner or later I'm going to have to check out Oktoberfest in Fredericksburg, but unfortunately, it's this weekend and I've already made my plans to be here in town. Maybe next year. Those Hill Country towns know how to do their German up right.

(Oh, and speaking of cute women in dirndls, I would be remiss if I did remind you to check out the best blog ever, Oktoberfest Girls, which has been having near-daily updates this month.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I must purchase a dirndl. And grow bigger boobies.

Anonymous said...

Oh... not anonymous. Signed, Milena of the smallish chest.

Lee said...

Oh Milena, I think you'd fill out a dirndl just fine. And I want to see the effect it has on Po.

Po said...

It would be very heaven! Mila, dirndl, and pivo!

By the way, have a pivo for me, or, uh, ein Bier fur mich, this weekend. Of all the lousy timing, we'll be up in Plano while Austin has two of its few-and-far-between beer festivals.

mister said...

Don't forget Independence's Anniversary party on Saturday, 5-9pm.

Good Burp said...

I am so envious of your festival. We don't have anything like that here in the southwest. It is all about Cinco-De Mayo.