Saturday, November 03, 2007

Damn I Love Wurstfest

Sadly, this year's Wurstfest wasn't all it should have been – the older daughter got quite sick, with a nasty rash and 103-degree fever, so she wasn't leaving the house. However, my wonderful wife decreed that I should go with the younger daughter, which turned out to be a great move for both of us — apparently, those two had a great bonding experience with each other at home, and me and the YG did at Wurstfest. Sometimes it's good for kids to get some one-on-one time with one of the parents, without that annoying other sibling getting in the way.

So YG and I went with the Noxious family, Nosregref family, and Up From Sloth family and had a great time. In fact, I see that Bookhart has already beaten me in posting a recount of the evening. God, what a great idea Wurstfest is. I get a continual flow of Paulaner Oktoberfest beer in my cup. My kids (in this year's case, just one kid) get continual carnival rides, and all of us get yummy food – corndogs for the girl, sausage and kraut for me, and we crowned the evening with fried Oreos, which as disgusting as they might sound, are incredible (see picture).

Damn you should have seen the Noxious daughter in her lederhosen. It doesn't get much cuter than that. Everyone in the crowd was enraptured by watching her, the Nosregref daughter, and YG dancing on a table together to the polka band.

Hey NB Pete: Sorry we didn't hook up. Unfortunately, you New Braunfels residents can show up at Wurstfest at 10pm, whereas we out-of-towners have to make it more of a daytime thing. Since it doesn't end until next weekend, we might go back so that the OG doesn't feel cheated. If we do, I'll give you a call.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lee, you have the right idea, to go to Wurstfest in the late afternoon. I don't know why but we think of it as an evening activity around here.

This was the first time I had a birthday celebration that involved a trip to Wurstfest. My wife thought I was crazy, but we pulled it off very nicely.

At six pm, the whole family including wives and girlfriends, met at our house for a Wurstfest Pre-Party. Most of my kids are grown but we still have a 16-year old daughter. A Brave Combo CD was playing loudly while we had beer, V&V Sausage, and Birrthday cake.

We arrived at Wursfest at around 8pm, and I figured I had made a terrible mistake. I haven't been to a First Saturday in years. Want beer tickets? Wait in a long line. Want beer? Get in another long line. I told my wife we better get a pitcher to share, and she said "Make it Miller Light". So that's how my beer evening went. We paid everyones admission and some advance beer tickets so we were being budgetary.

It turned into a wonderful evening (once we had our beer). We got seats in the Big Tent and saw Alpenfest put on a heck of a show!

Not long after, the beer lines weren't so long. At the end of the night I had some of those Fried Oreos. I like them. Think of a Pepperidge Farm Milano cookie that is REAL puffy and fresh baked. That's what they taste like.

Anonymous said...

I need to correct something I said in a comment here, a few weeks back.

Brave
Combo will be performing on Monday
, (tomorrow), in the Wursthalle, from 5:30 to 9:30.

This is a big deal here, because we haven't had them at Wurstfest since 1999, as the linked article explains. When you buy your $8 admission at the Wurstfest gates, you can get into the Wursthalle. Proceeds are benefitting the United Way. The last thing I need to do is spend more money at Wurstfest, but I can't miss this event.