Saturday, January 03, 2009

Live Oak Primus Weizenbock

Remember that new winter seasonal from Live Oak I mentioned back in November?I finally tried their Primus Weizenbock last night at Scholz Garten, and it was outstanding. A rich, earthy flavor with addictive banana notes that were very similar to North by Northwest's Dunkelweizen. In fact, you can pretty much take my review of that beer and apply it to this one — their flavors are very similar. The only thing wrong was this beer was that I couldn't have a second – I was killing time at Scholz before heading off to watch the Longhorns' men's basketball team kill Appalachian State at the Erwin Center. Given how lame the game turned out to be (not unexpected, of course), I kind of wish I'd just stayed at Scholz and drank a couple more of these. Well done, Chip!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been meaning to try this one before it's gone again for the season. Unfortunately, the local beer store I do most of my shopping at doesn't seem to be a big fan of Live Oak or Real Ale for some reason.

Bob Hewett said...

You can only buy Live Oak from your favorite local pub. They don't can or bottle.

assurbanipaul said...

Primus > DR #7

Machuca said...

I agree with Paul. Primus kills DR#7.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, only on tap eh? Well, I guess that's why I never see them. Too bad they don't bottle, I'm not a fan of the pub scene. Anyone know a good restaurant in San Antonio area that carries it?

Lee said...

War Horse: Go to www.liveoakbrewing.com and send them an e-mail. I bet they can give you a list.

Anonymous said...

The Flying Saucer chain has it, or at least the one in Addison pours it.