Thursday, June 17, 2010

New Brewers in Austin

Hey all, please read my profiles of several aspiring local brewing companies in this week's Austin Chronicle. It hit the newstands just today.

I was floored by how many people in the Austin area are in various stages of entering the business, ranging from those ready to send their products to market down to those with just a mere business plan, so I decided to write a round-up of as many of them as I can find.

If all are successful (a long shot, I admit), Austin's brewing industry would just about double in size. Can the Austin market accomodate that kind of expansion? All the new brewers seem to think so — see this sidebar where I ask that very question.

If I missed any that you know about, please let me know. (Pictured: Chris Orf, Orf Brewing, picture copyright Lee Nichols.)

5 comments:

Badminwearblack said...

Pretty much the same conclusion I came to re: sustainability. I don't think Portland or Denver really has anything over us in terms of craft beer enthusiasm, they've just been at it a lot longer than we have. I think there should be more of an emphasis on new brewpubs and not just breweries, however.

biergut said...

Flix Brewhouse is somewhere in the planning stages. It's up on Hester's Crossing, the sign is even up!

Lee said...

Thanks for letting me know, biergut. The film staff at the Chronicle has been asking me about Flix.

Ilya Feynberg said...

This is truly wonderful! I live here in Dallas and it's amazing to see the difference in the local beer culture between here and Austin.

I'm in total support of these guys, and now I'm thinking of getting in touch with them and give them a visit with a few of my beer group members.

Maybe even take these guys out for a beer or 7...they deserve it!

Thanks for the post! Link has been bookmarked. :)

biergut said...

Oh yeah, what about Whip In? I keep hearing that they are going to start brewing their own beers, but I don't know when they are going to start.