Thursday, January 14, 2010

A Couple of Nice Texas Seasonals

The holiday beer season is over; now it's time for winter seasonals (they're not exactly the same thing). A couple of nice ones have popped up here in Texas:

Shiner Fröst
If you lamented the retirement of the limited-edition Shiner 99, the Munich-style Helles lager, you're in luck: If my tastebud memory is correct, this is essentially the same beer. It's not what I expected from a winter beer: fairly clean and crisp in comparison to most of the rock-heavy, high-alcohol things we often expect to give us a fuzzy blanket against the chill. But then,
the freeze of last week notwithstanding, we don't really have winter in Texas, do we?

Instead, this is a Dortmunder style beer, according to the folks at Spoetzl Brewery:

[It] has the malt profile of a Helles, the hop character of a Pils, but is slightly stronger than both. First brewed in Dortmund, Germany for the hardworking coal miners of the town, this distinctive blend has something you might not expect– a touch of sweetness that quickly fades to a crisp hoppy flavor. Shiner Fröst uses Two-Row Malted Barley, Malted Wheat and Munich Malt for a full bodied flavor. Hallertau Tradition and Spalter Select Hops contribute to the noble aroma.
My own impression: It has that same syrupy sweetness that 99 had, which I didn't consider a bad thing. I suppose the malt profile is a bit higher than a summer beer, but honestly, I think I could drink this any time of year; I'm a little surprised it's being marketed as a winter beer.

5.5 ABV, 25 IBU

Real Ale Phoenixx Double ESB
I didn't have high expectations for this, as ESBs don't usually get me too excited. But I'm really liking this. Much more flavorful than I expected. The first thing that hits you is the heavy malts (giving
"toffee and caramel notes," as their website notes), but it's no dopplebock — very quickly, you start to notice strong, floral hop notes cutting their way through the thick malt jungle, clearing a path that you'll want to explore again and again.

The Real Ale website still says "draught only," so maybe this beer is not new, but it's definitely the first time I've had it or noticed it in bottles. (Bonus points: Snaps to the label designer for the homage to the old black-and-gold Pontiac Trans Am Firebird logo.)

7.2 ABV, 50 IBU

Neither of these beers made my head spin (in the taste sense, not the alcohol sense), but they're solid enough that I'll buy more, especially the Phoenixx. I'd grade both a high B, and worth your money.

5 comments:

Syphr said...

Will you post if you happen across or hear about Shiner Frost being sold at any bars around Austin?

Lee said...

Will do, but I have to think it is. Surely the likes of Draught House, Ginger Man, or Flying Saucer have some. I'll be at FS tomorrow, and possibly DH too, so I'll look for it.

doncarlo said...

I'm excited to hear that Phoenixx is in bottles now. I've had it on tap previously and really enjoyed it. The Fröst is pretty good but not my favorite Shiner beer.

Chris Troutman said...

I liked both of these. I'd give the Frost a solid B, it's nothing exceptional, but better than most Shiner special releases.
I have been a fan of the Phoenixx on draught for a while and was not let down by the bottles. In my opinion, it's one of the better TX beers in bottles.

Lee said...

Yeah, I probably ought to at least upgrade Phoenixx to a B+. The more I drink it, the more I like it.